Legal Forms and Dodiment Service Online   Legal Discussion Board, Advice, Information, Legal Aid and Legal Issue   
          Forums Login or Register News Members Calendar Search Bookmarks Settings Help Legal Document Service   
 Statistics: 27 people online; 301 members; 177 topics; 371 messages; 43,831 words  8 Nov 2021 2:28 am 

Advance Medical Health Care Directive >> Power of Attorney for Health Care >> If I become unable to make my own decision

New Message   Printable Version   Threaded View   Page 
Discussion: If I become unable to make my own decision-
#56, posted 18 Oct 2021 7:14 pm43 words
Terese (Offline)

Joined 18 Oct 2021 7:08 pm

1 post

8/10 Rating
I am about to go for inpatient Electroconvulsive therapy ECT. I'd like to give my mother Power of Attourney if I should become unable to make my own decision, or if I need to be put on life support.

Thank you a lot

#57, posted 18 Oct 2021 7:23 pm, in reply to #56315 words
Customer Support (Offline)

Joined 26 Jan 2022 1:01 pm

144 posts

9.6/10 Rating
Dear Terese,

Thank your for visiting our Legal Helpmate's website.

It is a very timely idea to sign a Power of attorney before you go for a treatment. We suggest you to execute a General Durable Power of attorney for property and finances that will give your mother broad powers to handle your financial and household needs.

Please note that a General Durable Power of attorney does not give your agent (your mother) power to make medical care decisions for you in case you are unable to speak for yourself.

In this instance you need a Medical Power of attorney. This document gives the person you name as your agent the authority to make any and all health care decisions for you in accordance with your wishes, including your religious and moral beliefs, when you are no longer capable of making them yourself. Because "health care" means any treatment, service, or procedure to maintain, diagnoses, or treat your physical or mental condition, your agent has the power to make a broad range of health care decisions for you. Your agent may consent, refuse to consent, or withdraw consent to medical treatment and may make decisions about withdrawing or withholding life-sustaining treatment. Your agent may not consent to voluntary inpatient mental health services, convulsive treatment, psychosurgery, or abortion. A physician must comply with your agent's instructions or allow you to be transferred to another physician.

Your agent's authority begins when your doctor certifies that you lack the competence to make health care decisions.

It is very easy to order and receive both of these forms: just click on and follow the instructions on the page.

If you have any further questions please let us know.

Disclaimer: Legal Helpmate Corp. is not a law firm and does not give legal advice. If difficult legal issues are involved, you should consult an attorney.

Best regards,
Customer Support


Search this topic   Email this topic   Page 
Members who are visible and online browsing this topic:

Go to forum Return to the top of the page
Forums - Privacy Policy - Terms of Service - Help - Legal Forms

Powered by Legal Helpmate - Legal Document Service Online