Legal Discussion Board, Advice, Information, Legal Aid and Legal Issue

Advance Medical Health Care Directive >> Power of Attorney for Health Care >> Access medical information of elderly parent

#382, posted 3 Nov 2021 11:50 pm by Kristen42 words
My mother is elderly but mostly able to make her own healthcare decisions. In order to have access to her current medical information now (i.e., ability to call her doctor), what form do I need to have her

Thank you. Kristen


#383, posted 4 Nov 2021 11:07 am by Kristen, in reply to #382224 words
Dear Kristen

In order to communicate with your mother’s doctor and get her medical records from her physician, your mother has to sign the Medical Power of Attorney.

Medical Power of Attorney is an important legal document. This document gives the person you name as your agent the authority to make any and all health care decisions for you in accordance with your wishes, including your religious and moral beliefs, when you are no longer capable of making them yourself. Because "health care" means any treatment, service, or procedure to maintain, diagnoses, or treat your physical or mental condition, your agent has the power to make a broad range of health care decisions for you. Your agent may consent, refuse to consent, or withdraw consent to medical treatment and may make decisions about withdrawing or withholding life-sustaining treatment.

Your mother’s doctor will keep the Power of Attorney that your mother signs in her file. Also you have to check with the medical office or hospital administration whether they have any additional rules on this subject.

To find more information and purchase the Medical Power of Attorney please click the following link:

Disclaimer: Legal Helpmate is not a law firm and does not give legal advice. If difficult legal issues are involved, you should consult an attorney.

Best regards

Customer Support
Legal Helpmate Corp.

Edited 4 Nov 2021 11:08 am by Customer Support 

#384, posted 4 Nov 2021 12:10 pm by Kristen, in reply to #38322 words
Thanks for your quick response. I have one more question:

How about HIPAA privacy laws in that case?

Thanks for your time.